5.17.2010

Oil spill could be among worst ever - Americas, World - The Independent

Oil spill could be among worst ever - Americas, World - The Independent

The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico could already have leaked 8 times the amount of oil as the Exxon Valdez spill. Oiled animals and chunks of oil are STILL washed up on the shores of Prince William Sound in Alaska to this very day. The oil spill has no end in site and the most viable solution, a relief well, will take 3 months to complete. The only solution to this problem is to get rid of oil drilling altogether. I love my car just as much as the next person does. My 1980 VW Rabbit is my pride and joy, one of my most prized possessions and yes of course I use oil to drive her. Why do I use oil? Because I have no other option! There is public transit and my bike and walking... I do all of these things, but sometimes I have to use my car and even public transit uses oil. The problem is that remedies for oil are out there and the technology is there and has been used before, but the government won't give it to us because it just wouldn't be good for big corporations and it wouldn't be good for the ever important, FAILING monatery system. People have invented AIR powered cars that take air into the engine from outside and the only emission is cold air, which can actually be used to air condition the car itself. There are solar powered cars, ammonia powered cars that emit nothing but nitrogen that are already being used in Canada, hydrogen powered cars that work in almost the same way as gasoline, and many other options like ethanol and battery operated which would in the end cause other problems... My point is that the alternatives already exist but they are being withheld from us. It's absolutely disgusting that we keep mining and drilling for these outrageously horrendous world altering substances that are causing so much damage that we are basically fucking up the ENTIRE PLANET!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment